Riverest is hiring full time and part time!
52 Wharf Street, L’Orignal, Ontario
Full time, permanent
As soon as possible
$55,000 to $65,000 (depending on experience) + tips
Thursday to Sunday (days, evenings and weekends) and some holidays
39 guests inside; 40 guests outside
Thursday to Sunday (days, evenings and weekends) and some holidays.
55 000$ to 65 000$/year + tips
The Chef plays an essential role in planning and directing activities related to food preparation and cooking. He/she prepares and cooks meals and specialty foods according to our vision. After the Executive Chef, he/she will be the person responsible for the kitchen. He/she will also supervise the service staff in an efficient and respectful manner. The ideal candidate will be able to identify opportunities to mitigate problems, resolve issues and streamline service in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining composure.
- Plans and directs kitchen activities including inventory, food preparation and cooking;
- Prepares and cooks meals or specialty foods such as pastries, sauces, soups, salads, vegetables, meat dishes, vegetarian and vegan dishes;
- Work with the Senior Chef to develop diverse menus and ensure food quality is consistent with Riverest’s standards and vision as needed;
- Assist the Senior Chef in creating new recipes;
- Supervise the work of the Sous Chefs, Specialty Chefs and Cooks;
- Assessing food requirements and, where appropriate, evaluating food and labor costs, including ensuring efficient and cost-effective operation by limiting food waste;
- Ensuring consistency is maintained in accordance with Riverest standards while ensuring food products, presentation and plating are of the highest quality and ready to be served in a timely manner;
- Directs the work schedule and task allocation in the kitchen, ensuring that everything runs like a “well-oiled machine”.
- Manage and train kitchen support staff and maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours;
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room staff, and customers;
- Explain new culinary techniques and equipment to kitchen staff;
- Arranges for the purchase and maintenance of equipment;
- Consult with clients regarding special events;
- Recruit and hire staff.
- 3-5+ years of experience in food preparation and kitchen team management;
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Formal culinary training or associate degree in culinary arts preferred OR equivalent skills, training and experience;
- Red Seal, Brigade Chef (CBC) or Certified Chef de Cuisine (CCC) certifications, an asset;
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and finding solutions;
- Experience in a leadership and management role in the culinary field;
- Good knowledge of food preparation techniques, cooking methods, and safety and sanitation practices so as to be able to supervise junior kitchen staff;
- Ability to bend, stand and stoop for long periods of time, and work long hours in hot conditions;
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs;
- Interest in working with local and seasonal foods;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player;
- Punctual and organized;
- Attention to detail;
- Bilingual French/English, an asset;
- Working knowledge of various computer programs (MS Office, POS), an asset.
CULTURE AND VISION OF RIVEREST
Riverest is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of L’Orignal, Ontario. Halfway between Montreal and Ottawa. The Riverest will be housed in a newly restored Regency style home, originally built in 1833, overlooking the L’Orignal Marina. The Riverest features a main dining room, a private dining room and a bar/coffee shop that also houses a small retail space selling local products. In addition, the Riverest caters to the needs of the busy marina by offering take-out and beverage service. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and guests can expect a more refined, yet approachable menu that pays homage to the history of the building and the land, using local producers and seasonal ingredients.
At Riverest, we believe strongly in a fair, safe and inclusive work environment. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds who share a passion for the type of community we want to create and the quality of service we want to provide. While it goes without saying, Riverest welcomes applications from BIPOC and LGBTQ2I+ individuals.
We believe in transparency and teamwork. All team members contribute to the success of the company. This is the guiding principle behind our salaries and fair tip distribution. We strive to create an environment where employees have the opportunity to grow professionally.
A NOTE ABOUT COVID-19
The safety of staff and clients is our top priority. Riverest is committed to playing an active role in mitigating the spread of COVID-19 by maintaining the highest standards of hygiene and contact tracing in accordance with provincial guidelines.Masks are required to be worn by staff until otherwise directed by health authorities and will be provided by Riverest. Telecommuting is not available for this position.