52 Wharf Street, L’Orignal, Ontario
Full time, permanent
As soon as possible
$65,000 to $75,000 (depending on experience)
Thursday through Sunday (days, evenings and weekends) and some holidays
50 guests inside; 40 guests outside
We are looking for an experienced and qualified Head Chef who is passionate about cooking and has a thorough understanding of inventory control, menu preparation and budgeting, among other things. This role calls for proven planning, problem-solving and team-building skills. In charge of organizing and managing the complete kitchen’s activities, the Head Chef will be the first in command in the restaurant. He or she will create the dishes and the menus, with the help of the chef, ensuring high quality and diversified dishes that follow the seasons and avoid waste.
- Elaborate new menus each week with the Chef, while ensuring quality at the Riverest level.
- Participate in the cooking and preparation of food as a member of the kitchen staff.
- Coordinates all kitchen activities related to food preparation, inventory and cleanup.
- Plan ingredient orders based on identified shortages (including, but not limited to, maintaining inventory with appropriate stock levels and proper rotation of perishable foods, cleaning and organizing all kitchen, freezer, refrigerator, and stockroom storage areas for supplies).
- Arranges for repairs and/or replacement of equipment as necessary.
- Be fully responsible for hiring and managing, while scheduling training time with appropriate employees.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years experience working in a kitchen setting
- Proven experience as a Head Chef or Chef, to be discussed according to experience
- Outstanding communication, leadership and presentation skills
- Experience in a leadership and management role in the culinary field
- Strong management skills in the kitchen, including budgeting
- Up-to-date culinary knowledge (trends and processes)
- Good understanding of useful computer programs (Microsoft Office, restaurant management software, etc.)
- Formal culinary education, or suitable experience
- Strong interest in working with local and seasonal foods
- Red Seal certification, an asset
- Ability to bend, stand and stoop for long periods of time, and work long hours in hot conditions
- Bilingual – French and English, necessary
- Food Safety certification, required
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player
- Punctual and organized
- Working knowledge of various computer programs (MS Office, POS), an asset
CULTURE AND VISION OF RIVEREST
Riverest is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of L’Orignal, Ontario, halfway between Montreal and Ottawa. Riverest is housed in a newly restored Regency-style home, originally built in 1833, overlooking the L’Orignal Marina. The restaurant features a main dining room, a private dining room, a patio and a bar/coffee shop. In addition, Riverest caters to the various needs of the marina by offering a takeout and drinks service. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and guests can expect a more refined, yet approachable menu that pays homage to the history of the building and the land, using local producers and seasonal ingredients.
At Riverest, we believe strongly in a fair, safe and inclusive working environment. We encourage applications from people of all walks of life who share a passion for the type community we are aiming to create, and the standard of service we are aiming to deliver. Though it should go without saying, Riverest welcomes applications from BIPOC and LGBTQ2I+ persons.
We believe in transparency and teamwork. All members of the team contribute in an essential way to the success of the business. This is the guiding principle behind our salaries and the equitable distribution of tips. We strive to create an environment where employees have the opportunity to grow professionally.