About the job
52 Wharf Street, L’Orignal, Ontario (Located 1 hour from Ottawa and from Montreal)
End of May/beginning of June 2021, exact date TBD
39 guests indoors; 40 guests outdoors
Flexible scheduling possible; availability to work weekends, holidays and evenings
Tentative operating hours
Sunday 10AM to 4PM
Monday -closed- except holiday long-weekends
Wednesday 11AM to 9PM
Thursday 11AM to 9PM
Friday 11AM to 9PM
Saturday 11AM to 9PM
$40,000/annually + tips (Full time)
The Sous Chef plays an integral role in translating our vision through our food, alongside the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef is second in command on the line, and responsible for overseeing back of house staff efficiently and respectfully. The ideal candidate will be able to identify opportunities to mitigate issues, problem-solve and streamline service in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining composure.
- Manage activities in the kitchen, including inventory, food preparation and production;
- Manage and train auxiliary kitchen staff;Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours;
- Lead the work schedule and task-distribution in the kitchen, ensuring that everything works like “well-oiled machinery”;
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions;
- Ensure efficient, cost-effective operation by mitigating food waste;
- Work with the executive chef to produce diversified menus/dishes in accordance with Riverest policy and vision, as required;
- Supervise all food preparation to maintain consistency in accordance with the Riverest standard;
- Strong working knowledge of food preparation techniques, cooking methods, and safety and sanitation practices in such a way to mentor junior kitchen staff;
- Regularly inspect cooking equipment to ensure they are kept clean, sanitary, and in perfect operating order;
- Ensure that food products, presentation, and plating are of the highest quality, and are prepared to serve in a timely manner.
- Bilingual in English or French a must
- Minimum 3-5 years cooking experience in a fine dining environment, preferred;
- Experience in a culinary leadership role, required;
- Record of kitchen and staff management experience;
- High school or GED equivalent required, formal culinary training or associate degree in culinary arts preferred;
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room employees, and guests;
- Ability to bend, stand, and stoop for long periods of time, and working long hours in hot conditions;
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs;
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, POS), an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Interest in working with local/seasonal food
Please apply online by May 7, 2021.
Riverest Culture & Vision
Riverest is located on the waterfront in the quaint village of L’Orignal, Ontario. Halfway between Montreal and Ottawa. Riverest will operate in a recently restored Regency-style home, originally built in 1833 and overseeing L’Orignal’s marina.
Riverest will feature a main dining room, private dining room and bar/café that will also house a small retail space featuring local products. In addition, Riverest will cater to the busy Marina, offering take-out food and beverage service.
We envision a warm and inviting atmosphere where guests can expect a more refined, though accessible menu that pays homage to the history of the building and the land, through local producers and seasonal ingredients.
At Riverest, we believe strongly in a fair, safe and inclusive working environment. We encourage applications from people of all walks of life who share a passion for the type community we are aiming to create, and the standard of service we are aiming to deliver. Though it should go without saying, Riverest welcomes applications from BIPOC and LGBTQ2I+ persons.
We believe in transparency and teamwork. All members of the team contribute in an essential way to the success of the business. This is the guiding principle behind our salaries and the equitable distribution of tips. We strive to create an environment where employees have the opportunity to grow professionally.
A Note on COVID-19
- Staff and guest safety are our number one priority; Riverest intends to play an active role in mitigating the spread of COVID-19 by adhering to the highest standard of sanitation and contact tracing, in accordance with provincial guidelines.
- Wearing face-masks for staff is mandatory, until otherwise mandated by the health authorities; these will be provided by Riverest
- Teleworking is not a possibility for this position