52 Wharf Street, L’Orignal, Ontario
Full time, permanent
As soon as possible
$45,000 – $55,000 (depending on experience)
Thursday through Sunday (days, evenings and weekends) and some holidays
50 guests inside; 40 guests outside
The sous chef plays an essential role in planning and directing activities related to food preparation and cooking. He/she prepares and cooks meals and specialty foods according to our vision. The ideal candidate will be able to identify opportunities to mitigate problems, resolve issues and streamline service in a fast-paced environment while maintaining composure.
- Plans and directs kitchen activities including inventory, food preparation and cooking.
- Prepares and cook meals or specialty foods such as pastries, sauces, soups, salads, vegetables, meat dishes, vegetarian and vegan dishes.
- Works with the executive chef and chef to develop diversified menus and ensure food quality is consistent with Riverest’s standards and vision, as required.
- Evaluates food needs by limiting food waste.
- Ensures consistency in accordance with Riverest’s standards while ensuring food products, presentation and plating are of the highest quality and ready to be served in a timely manner.
- Inspects cooking equipment regularly to ensure that it is kept clean, sanitary and in perfect working order.
- Manages and trains auxiliary kitchen staff as needed and maintain order during working hours.
- Explains new culinary techniques and equipment to kitchen staff.
- Formal culinary training or associate degree in culinary arts preferred OR equivalent skills, training and experience
- One (1) year or more experience in food preparation
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Experience in the culinary field
- Good knowledge of food preparation techniques, cooking methods, and safety and sanitation practices
- Working knowledge of various computer programs (MS Office, POS), an asset
- Bilingual – French and English, an asset
- Accuracy and timeliness in handling emergency situations and finding solutions
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room staff, and customers
- Ability to bend, stand and stoop for long periods of time, and able to work long hours in hot conditions
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs
- Interest in working with local and seasonal foods a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good team player
- Punctual and organized
- Detail oriented
CULTURE AND VISION OF RIVEREST
Riverest is located on the waterfront in the picturesque village of L’Orignal, Ontario, halfway between Montreal and Ottawa. Riverest is housed in a newly restored Regency-style home, originally built in 1833, overlooking the L’Orignal Marina. The restaurant features a main dining room, a private dining room, a patio and a bar/coffee shop. In addition, Riverest caters to the various needs of the marina by offering a takeout and drinks service. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and guests can expect a more refined, yet approachable menu that pays homage to the history of the building and the land, using local producers and seasonal ingredients.
At Riverest, we believe strongly in a fair, safe and inclusive working environment. We encourage applications from people of all walks of life who share a passion for the type community we are aiming to create, and the standard of service we are aiming to deliver. Though it should go without saying, Riverest welcomes applications from BIPOC and LGBTQ2I+ persons.
We believe in transparency and teamwork. All members of the team contribute in an essential way to the success of the business. This is the guiding principle behind our salaries and the equitable distribution of tips. We strive to create an environment where employees have the opportunity to grow professionally.